The next meeting of the Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team will be held:
8:00-9:30am, Thursday, June 8, 2017
1314 Teasley Lane, Denton, TX 76205
For more information, contact Courtney Cross at Courtney@UnitedWayDenton.org or 940-566-5851 Ext. 116
2017 Point-In-Time (PIT) Count Report
On January 16, 2017, more than 100 volunteers across Denton County interviewed people experiencing homelessness to help our community reach a better understanding of homelessness in our community.
Every person in Denton County has a place to call home that is safe, affordable, accessible and supported by community resources.
The Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team fosters an effective and coordinated system of homelessness prevention and intervention,
resulting in homelessness that is rare, brief and nonrecurring through:
- Community awareness and connection
- Data-driven, evidenced-based, fiscally responsible recommendations
- Innovative solutions around affordable housing, access to primary and behavioral health care services, adequate incomes and coordinated services
- Mobilizing, advocating and empowering public-private community-wide collaboration
Recognizing that homelessness is a significant barrier to success for many in Denton County, the City of Denton and United Way of Denton County are collaborating through a public-private partnership to lead collective impact initiatives addressing homelessness across our community.
The Mayor's Housing the Homeless Task Force issued a report in December 2015 to the Denton City Council with several recommendations focused on producing a plan for coordinated, community-wide efforts to address homelessness. Acting on this recommendation, the City of Denton and United Way of Denton County have jointly underwritten this collective impact initiative that launched in 2016.
As the backbone organization to the Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team, United Way of Denton County enhances the outcomes of all partners by facilitating a shared vision, shared measurements, mutually reinforcing activities and continuous communication.
Our Method: Collective Impact
What is Collective Impact?
Collective Impact (n) - A community coming together around a backbone organization as a team of equals to collaborate on solutions that no one organization can implement on their own.
Collective Impact is a structured way to unite a community of diverse people and achieve truly meaningful social change. By bringing everyone to the table and building relationships between them, Collective Impact accomplishes a community's goals through key elements of success:
- A Common Agenda, collectively putting forth a unified vision of a better community
- Shared Measurements, providing meaningful feedback to everyone involved
- Mutually Reinforcing Activities, avoiding duplication in favor of cooperation
- Continuous Communication, reinforcing trust and relationships between partners
- A Strong Backbone, orchestrating the hard work done through a unified initiative
Collective Impact Initiatives such as the Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team are a key part of United Way of Denton County's strategy for improving lives in Denton County.