Current Career Opening(s)
Homelessness Prevention Case Manager
1 Position Available
Reports to: Director of Housing Initiatives
Status: Exempt - Full-Time | Must be able to work flexible schedule based on client's and property managers availability, with the possibility of some early morning, evening, and limited weekend work. | Position is grant funded through March 2022 currently.
Description: The United Way of Denton County will operate a Homelessness Prevention Program for households at imminent risk of homelessness in Denton County. This program will offer short to medium term rental and utility assistance to people along with wrap around care provided by the Case Manager to be hired and community partners to stabilize the household. This program will offer resources and services unique to each household’s needs. The Case Manager position will work with clients in overcoming barriers to gaining new housing or maintaining current housing, goal planning and support to gaining stability in their own way while in housing. The program will be a client-centered, strengths based, and housing first approach to assisting community members into the housing best suited for them long-term.
- Conduct initial assessment and screening to all potential households to determine eligibility.
- Provide direct case management to households in the program wanting case management support in the service plan style that works best for them, throughout the life of the program.
- Collaborate and communicate with community partners on resources and services the program cannot provide that are available in the community to households in the program.
- Assist households in finding appropriate housing based on their needs, preferences, and potential financial resources if new housing location is needed.
- Work with households in the program and property management to coordinate eviction prevention efforts and develop housing permanency plans.
- Link households to income, employment, and/or skill development opportunities per their need.
- Assist households with conflict resolution among tenants and neighbors.
- Provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Meet all documentation requirements as dictated by program need, including entry into the Homeless Management Information System.
- Participate in community meetings relevant to assisting households into housing such as: staff meetings, workgroup meetings, etc.
- 3 – 4 Years of experience working with similar populations in case management capacity, including or similar to people at-risk of experiencing homelessness AND/OR
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in a social or behavioral science or relevant field.
Position open and listed until filled. Please send cover letter and resume to Elena Lusk, Director of Housing Initiatives at Elena@UnitedWayDenton.org with a subject line "Homelessness Prevention Case Manager" by 5 pm September 9th.
Eviction Prevention Specialist
Reports to: Director of Financial Initiatives
Status: Temporary, Non-Exempt - Full Time OR Part Time - immediate through December 31, 2021
Description: United Way of Denton County serves as the trusted partner to private foundations and all levels of government for administration of eviction prevention programs and other temporary aid provided via the nonprofit/social services sector. A significant portion of these partnerships is the efficient provision of multiple sources of housing and utilities aid to prevent eviction and utility shutoff due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This is a primarily in-office position, adhereing to strict COVID-19 health & safety procedures.
- Support daily operations and continuous improvement of UWDC’s eviction prevention program screening and applications
- Guide and manage walk-in eviction prevention clients at UWDC's office
- Screen households who have lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are seeking assistance with housing and/or utilities
- Gather necessary application documentation from households and vendors
- Submit applications through online portals and spreadsheets for review
- Secure Form W-9’s and other necessary payment documentation
- Communicate outcomes to households, case managers and/or vendors as needed
- Submit check requests and prepare vouchers for approved payments
- Prepare and submit regular data reports to TDHCA
- Document processes and train additional staff and interns as needed to assist in the screening and application process
- Complete other duties as assigned related to UWDC’s eviction prevention programs
- Spanish language proficiency highly desired
- Undergraduate degree and/or relevant experience assisting individuals and families in crisis
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, a strong communicator, and able to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office365 tools
- Social work or grant administration experience desired
- Position subject to background check
Multiple positions open until filled. Please send cover letter and resume to Teddy Yan, Director of Financial Initiatives at Teddy@UnitedWayDenton.org
Financial Coaching Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Financial Coaching & Navigation
Status: Temporary, Part Time - immediate through June 2022, potential to go permanent, grant-funded
Description: Financial coaching empowers low- to moderate-income families and individuals to accomplish personalized goals related to improving their own financial well-being over the course of a coaching relationship. United Way of Denton County performs financial coaching in partnership with local non-profits, educational institutions, and employers. This is accomplished through the work of dedicated volunteers, trained and coordinated by a Financial Coaching Coordinator. This coordinator works alongside the Director and is responsible for the training, matching, supervision, and support of volunteer financial coaches as well as the maintenance of client information and metrics.
- Obtain and maintain appropriate training to prepare volunteers to provide financial coaching services
- Collaborate with Director and other United Way of Denton County staff to develop and maintain robust curriculum, policies, and procedures for a long-lasting Financial Coaching program in Denton County
- Collaborate with Directors and other United Way of Denton County staff to plan, organize, supervise, develop and promote financial coaching partnerships across Denton County
- Recruit, train, match, supervise, and support volunteer financial coaches
- Assist in financial coaching and other programmatic activities on an as-needed basis
- Closely supervise volunteers in order to maintain records and statistics on financial coaching clients, such as demographics, goals, action plans, indicators of financial well-being, and other key program metrics
- Regularly interface with integrated service (Working Families Success) providers to communicate appropriate information to client case managers at collaborating organizations
- Perform other related duties as needed or assigned
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- Reliable transportation and geographic availability across Denton County
- Dependability with flexibility to work evenings and Saturdays as necessary
- Strong organizational, time management and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Sheets
- Prefer education or experience in social work, direct service, and / or volunteer management
- Prefer experience working with a diverse population, especially low- to moderate-income families
- Prefer ability to speak a second language, especially Spanish
Position open and listed until filled. Please send cover letter and resume to Alicia McElroy, Director of Financial Coaching & Navigation at Alicia@UnitedWayDenton.org with a subject line "Financial Coaching Coordinator".
United Way of Denton County values diversity and promotes equal employment opportunities by implementing guidelines and practices that ensure employees and applicants are not discriminated against with respect to national origin, race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, people with disabilities, or age.