Now accepting material donations to help start School-Based Community Centers around Denton County! Ask Alicia@UnitedWayDenton.org how you can help!
Many barriers prevent families in our community from reaching their full potential. Among the greatest are a lack of adequate transportation and the absence of a relationship with someone who can help.
School-Based Community Centers are our answer. Schools are an integral part of our neighborhoods and communities, often within easy walking distance of local residents. Families interact with our schools on a regular basis, and each campus provides a comfortable, trusted, safe and reliable venue for community events, resources and self-improvement.
In a School-Based Community Center, parents and community members will be able to develop and pursue their goals through opportunities such as:
- Mentoring for young children from other community members
- Training for parents with Pre-Kindergarten children
- Volunteer leadership and service opportunities
- Resume, job search and interview coaching
- Free vaccinations
- SNAP enrollment
- Community fairs
- Many more programs and resources provided by local community organizations
School-Based Community Centers have opened at many schools across Denton County:
- Evers Park Elementary School (Denton ISD)
- Newton Rayzor Elementary School (Denton ISD)
- Shady Shores Elementary School (Lake Dallas ISD)
- Central Elementary School (Lewisville ISD)
For more information about establishing School-Based Community Centers in Denton County, contact Alicia@UnitedWayDenton.org
You can also download a School-Based Community Center Guide here.