Collective Impact (n) - A community coming together around a backbone organization as a team of equals to collaborate on solutions that no one organization can implement on their own.
Collective Impact is a structured way to unite a community of diverse people and achieve truly meaningful social change. By bringing everyone to the table and building relationships between them, Collective Impact accomplishes a community's goals through key elements of success:
- A Common Agenda, collectively putting forth a unified vision of a better community
- Shared Measurements, providing meaningful feedback to everyone involved
- Mutually Reinforcing Activities, avoiding duplication in favor of cooperation
- Continuous Communication, reinforcing trust and relationships between partners
- A Strong Backbone, orchestrating the hard work done through a unified initiative
Collective Impact Initiatives are a key part of our dual strategy for improving lives in Denton County, and United Way of Denton County is proud to be the foremost Collective Impact backbone in our community!
- Bank On Denton County - promotes financial health through budget classes, financial coaching and local banking relationships.
- Community Impact Grants - financially supporting important local organizations and initiatives through targeted Community Impact Grants to meet critical community needs.
- Denton County Behavioral Health Leadership Team - serves to advocate and facilitate a collaborative person-centered behavioral health system to repair and restore lives. The vision is to have comprehensive behavioral health for every person in Denton County.
- Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team - provide backbone support to housing programs and enable additional housing options through evidence-based practices.
- Denton County Works - serving as the backbone organization, UWDC conducts job interview classes at local high schools and community organizations to help residents gain access to jobs that offer sustainable, family-supporting employment.
- Early Childhood Coalition - a coalition dedicated to increasing kindergarten readiness, provide equal access to parent resources, and promote lifelong learning & success through early childhood education.
- Financial Coaching - providing financially fragile families with money management skills.
- Information & Referral - UWDC staff and volunteers monitor a local helpline for Denton County residents who are seeking various types of assistance.
- Little Elm ISD Back to School Bash - partnering with Little Elm ISD to provide backpacks full of school supplies to students who qualify for free and reduced-cost lunch.
- Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program - a community collaboration to provide DISD students with an opportunity to earn valuable work experience while providing the tools needed for long-term employment.
- Mentor Denton - places mentors in Denton ISD schools to help at-risk students stay on track to graduate.
- NALC "Stamp Out Hunger" Food Drive - in partnership with the National Association of Letter Carriers and the Denton Community Food Center, this one-day drive brings together local volunteers, postal carriers and a caring community to donate much-needed food for families in need.
- Northwest ISD Stuff the Bus - partnering with Northwest ISD to provide backpacks full of school supplies to students who qualify for free and reduced-cost lunch.
- Project Blueprint Board Leadership Training - teaches local community volunteers the skills needed to shape and govern a successful non-profit board.
- School-Based Community Centers - partnerships with local schools to bring resources into neighborhoods, addressing challenges such as lack of transportation in getting help to families who need assistance.
- Tiny Libraries - promoting childhood literacy and reading through a free book exchange.
- Veterans Community Navigator - connecting Veterans and their dependents to any services they may use to avoid or recover from crisis.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance - provides free tax preparation to low and moderately-low income families, helping them apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit and other credits they may qualify for.