Documents and Limitations for our Free Tax Preparation

What documents do you need?

These documents are required for our volunteers to prepare your federal income tax return.

  • Social Security Card or ITIN Card / Letter for everyone on the tax return
  • Photo ID with name for taxpayer and spouse, such as a driver's license, state ID, school ID, or passport
  • Employment and other income-related tax documents (W2, 1099, etc.)
  • Any other official tax-related documents or IRS letters. Many common forms and documents are listed below.
  • Your willingness to complete a 30-minute information-gathering survey

What tax documents should you bring?

If you have them, bring these common tax forms and documents that can be used by our volunteers in preparing your federal income tax return.

  • Any and all letters from the IRS such as Notice CP01A (Identity Protecton PIN)
  • Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement)
  • Form 1099-INT (Interest Income)
  • Form 1099-DIV (Dividends and Distributions)
  • Form 1099-G (Certain Government Payments, usually Unemployment)
  • Form 1099-NEC (Non-Employee Compensation; usually "gig economy" jobs like driving for Lyft or hairstyling at a salon)
  • Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income; usually royalty or rental income)
  • Form 1099-R (Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement [...])
  • Form 1099-B (Brokerage Statement; usually combined interest, dividend, and stock market income)
  • Form 1099-SA (Distributions from an HSA [or MSA]; using money from special healthcare accounts)
  • Form SSA-1099 (Social Security Benefit Statement)
  • Form 8949 (Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, usually stock market income)
  • Form 1098 (Mortgage Interest Statement)
  • Form 1098-E (Student Loan Interest Statement)
  • Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement)
  • Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)
  • Receipts for Medical or Dental Expenses, including insurance premiums
  • Form 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement)
  • Form 1095-B (Health Coverage)
  • County and Municipal Tax Statements
  • Receipts for Charitable Contributions
  • A letter from a childcare provider with provider's name, address, tax ID, and amount paid per child
  • Receipts for Employee Business Expenses - LIMITED
  • Receipts for Moving Expenses - LIMITED

What tax subjects CANNOT be prepared by our volunteers?

The IRS does not allow our volunteers to prepare returns involving the issues featured on this non-inclusive list:

  • "Married Filing Separately" filing status
  • Insolvency or Bankruptcy
  • Net Business Losses, Schedule C (Profit or Loss From Business)
  • Over $35,000 of Business Expenses, Schedule C (Profit or Loss From Business)
  • Inventory or Depreciation, Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business)
  • Ministers' Compensation and Housing Allowance
  • Over $500 of non-cash Gifts to Charity
  • Rental Income or Losses, Schedule E (Supplemental Income and Loss)
  • Non-deductible IRA
  • Minor’s Investment Income
  • Form SS-5 (Application for Social Security Card)
  • Form SS-8 (Determination of Worker Status [...])