As members of the Denton County community, it is our civic duty to vote. Voting ensures your voice and concerns are heard by those you elect to represent you. By voting, you Live UNITED to improve lives in the Denton County community.
Through Collective Impact Initiatives and other collaborations with our community, United Way of Denton County intends to create long-lasting improvements, and we want your voice to join ours. We especially want your help advocating for six key priorities as presented in 2017 to the Texas legislature during the 85th Legislative Session in Austin.
These priorities were developed in collaboration with area non-profit organizations, the Denton Chamber of Commerce, Denton Independent School District, University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University and the City of Denton and approved by our Board of Directors:
1. Increase access to effective early childhood programs and at-risk student programs that decrease Texas drop-outs and prepare all students for school and post-graduation success.
2. Expand vocational job training and work experience to create an employable workforce.
3. Provide adequate funding for coordinated mental health services that are planned, cohesive and monitored for effectiveness at the community level.
4. Support prevention and intervention programs that make homelessness rare, brief and nonrecurring.
5. Provide adequate funding for programs that serve children, adults and families who are victims/survivors of abuse and neglect.
6. Ensure adequate regulation of predatory lenders in order to provide protections from aggressive and harmful lending practices.