Advancing the Common Good: Creating Opportunities for a Better Life for All
Everyone in Denton County deserves opportunities for a good life: a quality education that leads to a stable job, enough income to support a family through retirement, and good health.
That’s why United Way of Denton County’s work is focused on the building blocks for a good life:
- Education – Helping Children and Youth Achieve Their Potential
- Income – Promoting Financial Stability and Independence
- Health – Improving People’s Health
Advancing the common good here in Denton County is less about helping one person at a time and more about changing systems to help all of us. We are all connected and interdependent. We all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, when people are healthy.
United Way of Denton County’s goal is to create long-lasting changes that improve lives by addressing the underlying causes of these problems. To LIVE UNITED in Denton County means to be a part of the change. It takes everyone in the community working together to create a brighter future for us all.
83rd Legislative Session
In 2013, the Texas Legislature convened in Austin for the 83rd Legislative Session.
United Way of Denton County collaborated with the Denton Chamber of Commerce, Denton Independent School District, University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University and the City of Denton to include the following United Way of Denton County legislative priorities, as approved by the United Way of Denton County board of directors, in the Denton Chamber of Commerce legislative agenda:
Education is the cornerstone to the success of Texans and must be a priority from birth through college or job training. Denton County's strong economic productivity depends on effective education and a healthy and employable workforce.
- Provide access to affordable full-day pre-kindergarten programming that will prepare children to be school-ready in reading, writing, math and skills to succeed in school.
- Leverage public and local private partnerships to increase the vocational job training to create and expand an employable workforce.
- Create effective, quality programming that will decrease Texas drop-outs and successfully prepare students for college, vocational training or the workforce.
- Support public and private sector initiatives to expand coverage to the state's uninsured, ensure greater access to coverage through insurance reforms, and focus additional resources on primary care, prevention and wellness.
Denton County citizens presented this agenda to our state legislators in mid-February.
Champion a Cause. ADVOCATE Today!
Who is your Texas State Senator, Texas State Representative and Denton County Commissioner?
The most basic way to ADVOCATE is to communicate with those who represent us here in Denton County.
To find your Texas State Senator or your Texas State Representative, visit this resource: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
To find your Denton County Commissioner, visit this resource: http://dentoncounty.com/dept/main.asp?Dept=123