For many Denton County kids, summer means a vacation - for others, summer means employment.
Many local high school students do not have the opportunity to work, however. 2015 marked the pilot of the Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program, a collaboration between the City of Denton, Denton Chamber of Commerce, Denton Independent School District, and United Way of Denton County. This program provided local high school students with an opportunity to earn valuable work experience while also acquainting them with important skills like interviewing for a job, spending or saving their earnings wisely and positioning themselves for long-term employment.
"It's tough but rewarding work [at the City of Denton's Linda McNatt Animal Care Facility]. It makes me feel really great that I get to come in every day and make a difference."
~ Jalin Brown, program participant
Does your business want to get involved as an employer?
As an Employer for the Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program you must be willing to:
- Provide youth with training and paid work experience
- Work with a youth who may be vulnerable to at-risk behavior during the summertime
- Provide mentorship and encouragement to youth that you employ
As your partner, the Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program will:
- Provide youth with job interview and life-skills training
- Provide youth with access to appropriate workplace attire
- Support the employer/employee relationship throughout the program
What kind of jobs can youth do?
Youth can perform duties that range from basic office duties to light maintenance and landscaping. This is an opportunity for youth to get involved in many aspects of having a job. In addition to valuable real life work experience, this program is intended to develop awareness and workforce competencies that will prepare them for success after high school graduation.
Support the Mayor’s Summer Youth Jobs Program by:
- Making a financial donation
- Making a donation of food, supplies, and materials
- Volunteer as a presenter for job training and/or life-skills training